7/3/17: A Parent’s Prayer
Few experiences compare in awesomeness to holding your firstborn child (or grandchild). That moment in that hospital room with my newborn changed my life forever. I was now personally responsible for another’s life. My hands held and comforted him, my boundaries protected him, my breasts nourished him. As he grew and was joined by his brother, the love multiplied. My words and my example became ever more important to me because those two sets of eyes were always watching, always recording, always learning, needing to know that my words and my actions were identical. They needed to understand that life with Christ worked and mattered.
- As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever. Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house for the sanctuary; be strong, and do it.” Then David gave his son Solomon the plans… 1 Chronicles 28:9 – 11a (NKJ).
The bottom line of my heart’s main desire for my children is that they know God, love God, serve Him with a loyal heart and willing mind, seek Him until they find Him, never forsake Him, and realize they have been chosen for a work He has purposed them to do.
Notice, though, that David didn’t stop his parenting at expressing his longing. He went further and “gave his son Solomon the plans.” In David’s and Solomon’s case, the plans were for building the actual, physical temple. In our case, we don’t stop parenting either. It’s our job to leave a legacy our children can step into, be it an actual business in which they can work, and/or being
sure they get the education they need for expanding God-given gifts we’ve help nurture over the years.
David continues by putting his longing for his son into a prayer. He prays, “And give my son Solomon a loyal heart to keep Your commandments and Your testimonies and Your statutes, to do all these things, and to build the temple for which I have made provision” 1 Chronicles 29:19 (NKJ).
Let’s turn David’s words into our own prayer for our children. We can fill our children’s names in the blanks as we pray:
Lord, please give ___________ a strong unction to know You, and serve You with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for You, Lord, search all hearts and understand all the intent of the thoughts. If ________ seeks You, God, I know You will be found; but if (he/she) forsakes You, please draw (him/her) back. Do not cast _______ off forever. Thank you, Lord, for choosing _________ to go forward in his/her gifts. Help _________ to be strong, and do it. Give _______ a loyal heart to keep Your commandments and Your testimonies and Your statutes, to do all these things, for which I have prayed and worked over the years. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement! Closer Walk 2018(c) https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: