6/19/17: Filled, Now Pour
Lots of arguments have started and divisions have happened over the issue of what it means to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Are we “filled” at the moment of salvation or does the “filling” come later? Is the “filling” for everyone or for just a few who do something special? Do we know we are “filled” because we speak in tongues, some mysterious, unknown language only God can understand?
Denominations will probably keep arguing these and other points about this topic until Jesus returns, but we can deduce a particular truth. Each time Luke recorded an instance of the Holy Spirit’s filling, it was always accompanied by one corresponding action: people spoke. Sometimes they spoke in tongues, and sometimes they didn’t. The important thing to note is not how they spoke, but what they spoke. Every time people were filled with the Holy Spirit, they spoke boldly glorifying God. For example, Acts 4:31 says, “And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness” (NKJ). Read also the context of the verses surrounding Acts 1:8, 2:4, 2:33 and 38, 4:8, 8:15 and17, 9:17, and 13:9.
We fill water bottles to drink from them. We fill the gas tanks in our cars because we have someplace to go. We fill our heads with the knowledge of our education so we can perform in our chosen careers. We fill our bodies with food that becomes fuel for the energy we need to live, work, play, serve, and love. Fillings are for pouring out. Fillings are for being used. The whole point of being filled with the Holy Spirit is so that we’ll have something to pour out. And what should be pouring out of our months are bold testimonies to the glory of God.
Romans 8:9b is clear, “Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His” (NKJ). If we are Christians, we have the Holy Spirit inside of us. We’ll never get more of Him because He doesn’t come on the installment plan; however, we can continually surrender more and more of ourselves to Him. Let’s walk in the knowledge that we are filled with the Spirit of God, and let’s open our mouths to boldly pour out words that glorify Him.
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement! Closer Walk 2018(c) https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: