6/10/17: No Fault in Jesus
On the night Jesus was arrested, He was subjected to several illegal trials. (They were illegal because trials were not supposed to be held in the middle of the night.) Anyway, the book of John points out that Pilate, for one, could not find any fault in Jesus. In other words, after Pilate questioned Jesus, he found that there was no reason to punish Him. Jesus had not done anything wrong. Pilate plainly stated, “I find no fault in Him at all” John 18:38 (NKJ). However, to appease His accusers, Pilate decided to go with a custom to release a prisoner to them because it was Passover time. I believe Pilate thought they’d ask for Jesus’ release when he offered them the worst alternative he could find, Barabbas, a notorious criminal. But no, the mob had Barabbas released and Jesus crucified.
People are still finding fault with Jesus today and are still turning to the worst alternatives as substitutes for following Him. Instead of obeying Jesus’ words, we will listen to old wives’ tales, the media’s spin, or culture’s dictates. Jesus, who is clearly identified as the word of God made flesh (see John 1:1-4 and 14), is considered old-fashioned and therefore His words are considered secondary at best, unnecessary at worst. It is easy to find folks who find fault with Jesus and manage their lives according to the dictates of some other source.
What about you? Do you find fault with anything Jesus has said? More to the point: do you find fault with who Jesus is? Jesus is God in the flesh. There are only two choices when it comes to your relationship to Jesus. Either He is Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all. Will it be Jesus or your “Barabbas”?
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement!
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: