2/8/16: What is Your Heart’s Desire?
While I was attending Emmanuel Community Church in Gardena, CA some years ago, my pastor, Pastor Frederick Holmes, asked me a question. He asked, “What do you want from life?” Without hesitation I answered, “I want my life to count.” That short conversation became a defining moment in my life wherein I had put into words the theme of my own existence, the thing that makes me “tick,” my heart’s desire.
It didn’t take much thought after those first six words to realize that my life could only have lasting worth as I bonded my desire for myself with God’s desires for me. I figure it this way: If I am following the Lord daily, whatever I do will be His desire for me to do, and the outcome will have lasting value that matters in the grand scheme of things. The ultimate result? My life will have counted. Vineyard’s praise song, Cry of my Heart, reflects what I mean. The chorus simply says:
It is the cry of my heart to follow You,
It is the cry of my heart to be close to You,
It is the cry of my heart to follow,
All of the days of my life.
What is your heart’s desire? Is it something God would have for you? Is it something that, if fulfilled, you could proudly lay at Jesus’ feet as an offering to Him? With the preceding thoughts in mind, The Psalmist’s prayer is also mine for you today: “May He grant you according to your heart’s desire, and fulfill all your purpose” Psalm 20:4 (NKJ).
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network’s new internet TV show Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott from any internet-connected device at HSBN.tv. (Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)