1/3/16: Live Inside of the Vision
The first verses of the Bible give us a glimpse into how God operates when He brings into reality a vision He has in His mind. The passage states:
- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day. Genesis 1:1-5 (NKJ).
Notice God’s actions. He created, hovered over, spoke, observed, judged (the light was good), divided, and specified.
When God first calls something into being, that thing is not necessarily in its finished or mature state. As with the first day of creation, refinement is necessary. Light was thrown out over “the face of the deep,” but God wasn’t finished with it. God observed and judged its condition before He worked any further with it. Once judged as good, He took things a step further by dividing the light from the darkness. Once that step was clearly delineated, He assigned a name to each: “God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night.” The two entities—the light and the dark—had just been indiscriminate parts of God’s creation without a purpose until He named them. When He named the light “Day” and the darkness “Night,” He gave them purpose. The Day and the Night gained the purpose of counting out God’s new entity, Time. And time would be necessary for the operation of the universe God was putting together.
The same order of operation happens for us when God moves to bring into reality a vision He has in His mind for us. We recognize that something has been created in us when God first steps on the scene of our lives. The vision He creates is as beautiful as pure light with no glare, but it’s just there. All that the vision will become is yet unknown to us. We just realize a light has been turned on. Little by little, day-by-day, as God hovers over us, He speaks to us through His Word, observes our growth, and judges our good progression. As time moves along, God divides the light of the vision He has created for us. As we mature in Him, He specifies and eventually names the vision, and we recognize the purpose for which every twist and turn of life has been preparing us.
No matter where we are on the spectrum of God’s creativity, may live inside of God’s vision for us. This is the Christian definition of “living the dream.” Good, bad, beautiful, or ugly, Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (NKJ). We will have a renewed sense of wonder about every day when we realize that each moment is a part of God’s vision for our lives. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ says the Lord. ‘They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope’” Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT).
©2016 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network’s new internet TV show Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott from any internet-connected device at HSBN.tv. (Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Pick up a copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)