1/12/18: How to Beat a Hacker
My personal email address was hacked. People received an email message from me that asked them to send money in order to keep my HSBN.tv show on the air. Sure, I could always absolutely use money to keep the ministry rolling, but I didn’t send that request. If anyone sent money to the return email connected with that request, it would have gone to a totally different site than my own, and the money would have been collected by the hacker – a thief.
Thankfully, my email connections know me. People started contacting me, all of them realizing that I didn’t send the request. First of all, there were misspellings in the message. I am an author, an editor, and an 34+ year English teacher. My friends know how picky I am about correct syntax. In addition, the tone of the request just didn’t sound anything like me. The bottom line is this: those who read my devotions and other email messages regularly “hear” my voice in my writing. So even though the hacker had my email address and had even copied the “signature” at the bottom of the page, there was a letter off here and there. My friends and connections knew the message was not from me. Their knowledge and familiarity with me beat the hacker.
Do we know Jesus that intimately? When false Christs rear their heads with bogus messages, do our ears perk up and cause us to pay a thief, or are we able to dismiss a hack because we know Christ’s voice so very well? Fake news – a counterfeit – may look pretty good, but it will always be one letter off here or there. John 10:27 says, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.” Our close familiarity with and intimate knowledge of Jesus will beat Satan, the ultimate hacker, every time.
©2018 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement! Closer Walk 2018(c) https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: