11/20/17: 41 Days to God
There are 41 days left in 2017. Maybe for you, this has been the best year of your life. It could have been your graduation year. Possibly you finally landed that dream job. Perhaps you married the love of your life, or had a precious baby. On the other hand, 2017 may have turned out to be a completely horrible year. You experienced a severe financial reversal, have been embroiled in conflict, are fighting a physical illness, or have lost adored loved ones to death.
Whether the circumstances of life have treated us well or terribly, we still have a God who can be approached with both our thanks and our questions, our rejoicing and our tears. He is able to appreciate our thanks, and He can answer our questions and heartaches. How is God able to be both a celebratory friend and a comforting Father at the same time? How can He be both the punisher of and the forgiver of sin? How can He hate the sin but love the sinner?
Thoughts of God simply blow our minds and they should. A god who can fit neatly into our complete understanding is a god we don’t need. God is bigger than our mental capacity; nevertheless, God has revealed enough of Himself to us that we can know Him intimately and love Him personally.
- First John 5:20 says, “And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life” (NKJ).
- Proverbs 2:1-5 says, “My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, If you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God” (NKJ).
We all want to know God better. Join me a year-long trek starting January 1, 2018. Closer Walk 2018 will be our journey together. Click to the “About” page to get prepared so you’re ready to start. There are just 41 days to God – that is, to getting to know God better! https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com/about/
Our goal is at least 10,000 “walkers”. Together, we’ll be a faith-force, close enough to God to hear His voice and get our marching orders for 2018.
©2017 Sharon Norris Elliott. Feel free to forward this devotion in its entirety, including this copyright line. Leave comments, ask questions, read past devotions, or subscribe to receive these devotions daily in your e-mail at www.sanewriter.wordpress.com. Also, periodically check in at www.LifeThatMatters.net to see what’s going on in the ministry.
Links you won’t want to miss:
- Watch Sharon in two shows on The Holy Spirit Broadcasting Network:
- Life That Matters with Sharon Norris Elliott, and
- A View from the Upper Room
from any internet-connected device at www.HSBN.tv.
(Stream current show or view past episodes anytime!)
- Join the movement! Closer Walk 2018(c) https://closerwalk2018.wordpress.com
- 366 Glimpses of God: Getting to Know the God Who Knows You.
- Start every day of your new year with one of these thoughtful devotional readings that will focus your attention on our amazing heavenly Father.
- Pick up copies of Sharon’s books for yourself and as gifts for your family members and friends!
- Why I Get Into Trouble link to our eStore: https://www.createspace.com/5131814
- Boomerangs to Arrows: A Godly Guide for Launching Young Adult Children available from Judson Press (http://www.judsonpress.com/product.cfm?product_id=17387),
Boomerangs Videolink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2JH_gbinMk
- Power Suit: The Armor of God Fit for the Feminine Frame from New Hope Publishers (http://www.newhopedigital.com/2010/08/power-suit/)
Sharon’s other books still available: